Map Collector - Help
Back to the main help page
Playing with money
When you start a new game, you can choose whether to play with time or money by using the dropdown list to the left of the New Game button. When you play with money, you have as much time as you want to collect all maps, but going to different stations costs money and you only have a limited amount of money that you can use during each game month. If you manage to collect all maps and still have money left, you can keep that money for the next game month.
Most cities have fare zones. These fare zones are visible no matter if you are playing with time or money, but only have an effect when you're playing with money. The fare zones are colored in white, green or yellow. Some cities also have a regional boundary. In that case, the area outside of the region is colored in red. Some cities also have sea, lakes and rivers colored in blue, but these have no effect on the game.
Going to another station costs a different amount of money depending on how many fare zones you go through. Here is a list of those fares:
- Travel within the same zone: $1.
Example: From Union Station to 41st/Fox in Denver.
- Travel between several zones: $10 per zone boundary crossed.
Example: In Denver, starting from Union Station, travelling to Peoria costs $10, travelling to 61st/Pena costs $20 and travelling to Denver Airport costs $30.
- Crossing the region boundary: $25. If you cross zone boundaries inside the region too, it costs $10 extra per zone boundary crossed. If you cross the region boundary twice, it costs $50 (plus any extra cost for crossing zone boundaries).
Example: In Skåne, starting from CPH Flygplats, travelling to to Hyllie costs $25, travelling to Lund C costs $35, travelling to Landskrona costs $45, and travelling to Göteborg costs $90 ($50 for crossing the region boundary twice and $40 for crossing 4 zone boundaries).
- Travel between two stations outside of the region: $3 if you do not cross the region boundary, otherwise as above.
Example: From Göteborg to Mölndal in Skåne.
- Using a walking connection: Free, no matter how many zone boundaries are crossed.
Example: From Paris Nord to Paris Est in Paris, or from Helsingborg C to Helsingør in Skåne (in real life, the connection between Helsingborg C and Helsingør is a ferry, but it's considered a walking connection in the game for simplicity).
Some cities like Stockholm don't have any zones. In those cities, any travel costs $1, except walking connections which are free.